Washington Times: Most people convicted of international terrorism in U.S. courts since 2001 were foreign-born, the Trump administration said in a report Tuesday that officials said boosts the president’s calls for tougher immigration restrictions and limits on travel.
The report also said deportation officers had more than 2,500 encounters last year with people on the FBI’s terrorist watch list — which works out to more than seven a day — and more than 1,700 foreigners have been kicked out of the U.S. on national security grounds since 2001.
Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen called the findings “truly chilling” and warned that it doesn’t capture the full extent of the threat of international terrorism.
“This report, unfortunately, is likely just the tip of the iceberg,” she said.
The numbers are being released as President Trump calls for stiffer immigration enforcement and changes to chain migration as part of the debate on Capitol Hill over what to do about illegal immigrant Dreamers.
Democrats and Muslim advocacy groups were incensed at the report, calling it misleading and an attempt to oversell the threats of foreign-born terrorists to the U.S. They said the data included foreign fighters captured overseas and then brought to the U.S. — people they said shouldn’t count in a report looking at ties between terrorism and immigration.